Sun, Oct 23|
Howe Street Studios (Malaspina)
Social & Fundraiser | Let's Build a Studio! (+ Printermedia Residency Open House)
We're building out the new metal shop at Howe Street Studios this weekend and we're inviting you to join us in checking out the space where the new Printermedia Residency (Metal Arts) will take place.
Time & Location
Oct 23, 2022, 1:00 p.m. PDT – Oct 24, 2022, 6:00 p.m. PDT
Howe Street Studios (Malaspina), 1265 Howe St, Vancouver, BC V6Z 1R3, Canada
About the event
The Vancouver Metal Arts Association is helping Malaspina Printmakers Studios with building out a metal shop at their Howe Street Studios location. This will be the site of the new Printermedia Residency (Metal Arts), which you can learn more about here.
The purpose of the day is twofold:
1) to feature the site of the Printermedia Residency Program, and
2) to actually install and build out a new metal shop suitable for hosting metal arts demonstrations, workshops, private lessons, and other activities that are foundational to a metal arts studio practice, such as manufacturing, designing and finishing metal arts.
We invite you to join us that day if you're interested in:
- Learning more about (and applying to) the Printermedia Residency Program
- Building a jewellery studio of your own or acquiring equipment
- Donating or loaning some old equipment or tools you're no longer using
- Learning how to design or build a jewellers bench
- Just want to come by, wield a hammer, and hang out with other jewellery artists in the community
Admission is free. We are making "donation" tickets available at a pay-what-you-want rate. All proceeds would go directly to help fund the new space.
About the space:
Located on unceded and ancestral territories of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh Nations, the Howe Street Studios are home to over 2,000 square feet of fully equipped shared studio spaces consisting of printing presses, a dark room, large format archival inkjet pigment printer (44in wide), an iMac with Adobe Photoshop CC, a wood shop, and individual secured flat-file and cupboard storage. An additional 400 square feet of studio space is in the process of being developed into a space dedicated to metal and jewellery arts production.
This class B art studio also features a barrier-free washroom with a shower, street-level automated door entry, freight elevator, alley-level loading bay with short term parking, oversize rollup studio doors, subfloor heating, air conditioning, 16ft ceilings, and a shared oversize 40ft x 4ft workbench.
- Ticket type
Donate to Studio Fund
If you'd like to swing by, you don't need a ticket to do so! But if you feel moved to donate a little cash towards equipment, every little bit helps.PricePay what you want